Free Tax Help & Preparation in Greater Houston
Neighborhood Centers Inc., a United Way Agency, offers free, quality tax preparation through its Neighborhood Tax Centers program. This free service helps families and individuals that earn up to $58,000.
Since 2009, Neighborhood Tax Centers has prepared over 177,000 tax returns, putting over $234 million back in the pockets of working families. Families save an average of $200 in tax preparation and predatory refund loans fees amounting to an overall savings of about $7 million per year.
Neighborhood Tax Centers, an IRS VITA program, offers free quality tax preparation by IRS-certified tax preparers.
Families and individuals that earn up to $58,000.
Changes of life circumstances such as divorce or unemployment and larger families with slighter higher incomes are taken into consideration.
15 convenient locations during tax season through Greater Houston. MAP
1 mobile site
We CAN Help You With:
- Individual returns with W-2s, 1099s, self-employed and cash income, social security, pensions
- Returns involving sale of stocks, retirement withdrawal, education expenses, child care, 1099-C for cancellation of debt on your home or credit cards
- Schedules A, B and C for homeowners, interest and dividends and self-employed
- Tax Credits: Earned Income Credit, Child Tax Credit, Education Credit, Child Care Credit
- Preparation of amended returns and prior year tax returns back to 2009
We CANNOT Help You With:
- Depreciation or amortization of assets
- Rental income
- Purchase or sale of a business
- Business that claim use of a home or have inventory or employees
- Capital gains and losses on investments beyond one or two sales
- Non-resident returns (1040NR)
- Corporate returns
What to Bring:
Click here to view and print a checklist (PDF) of what to bring.
Thank you to our sponsors:
The Hamill Foundation