Free Tax Help & Preparation in Greater Houston
Neighborhood Centers Inc., a United Way Agency, offers free, quality tax preparation through its Neighborhood Tax Centers program. This free service helps families and individuals that earn up to $58,000.
Since 2009, Neighborhood Tax Centers has prepared over 177,000 tax returns, putting over $234 million back in the pockets of working families. Families save an average of $200 in tax preparation and predatory refund loans fees amounting to an overall savings of about $7 million per year.
Neighborhood Tax Centers, an IRS VITA program, offers free quality tax preparation by IRS-certified tax preparers.
Families and individuals that earn up to $58,000.
Changes of life circumstances such as divorce or unemployment and larger families with slighter higher incomes are taken into consideration.
14 convenient locations during tax season through Greater Houston. MAP
We CAN Help You With:
- Individual returns with W-2s, 1099s, self-employed and cash income, social security, pensions
- Returns involving sale of stocks, retirement withdrawal, education expenses, child care, 1099-C for cancellation of debt on your home or credit cards
- Schedules A, B and C for homeowners, interest and dividends and self-employed
- Tax Credits: Earned Income Credit, Child Tax Credit, Education Credit, Child Care Credit
- Preparation of amended returns and prior year tax returns back to 2009
We CANNOT Help You With:
- Depreciation or amortization of assets
- Rental income
- Purchase or sale of a business
- Business that claim use of a home or have inventory or employees
- Capital gains and losses on investments beyond one or two sales
- Non-resident returns (1040NR)
- Corporate returns
What to Bring:
Click here to view and print a checklist (PDF) of what to bring.
Thank you to our sponsors:
The Hamill Foundation